Around the world


Welcome to this blog!

Please select an article in the bellow map!
Blue points are for visited places and orange ones are for articles.



image jpg 2333-24

Thursday 28 February 2013

Japan: The deers of Nara

It's really hard to meet someone who went to Japan and came back disapointed. In my case, I didn't visit Japan because I had a deep interest in japanese culture and cuisine: I just knew Japan was a country with deep culture and high importance in their traditions, and this was exactly what I was looking for. I was really impressed by what the few cities and places I visited there.



Nara is located next to Kyoto and Osaka, in the south part of the island. I can't say that this was my best visit in the land of the rising sun (I stayed in Nara only one day), but I will remember this place for a while. Of course, if you are goinf there, it's probably for the Tōdai-ji (a huge amazing wooden temple) and the Yakushi-ji, both part of the UNESCO world heritage. But you will be surely surprised to be welcome by countless deers,.... who won't be afraid of you at all! I didn't know that Nara was famous for their deers before seeing a group of them on my road! 


They are many, and not only accepted by locals but also protected and feed by japaneses... and they perfectly know it! You can buy some cheap cakes for them... and they will jump on you for it! And it is really amazing to be so close from animals which are usualy wild and hidden in forests. They are usually located all arounds the temples and mainly in parks.




I'm a bit ashamed to say that I didn't find the Yakushi-ji! Probably because I didn't have lot of time, tired for having walked so much (I came back from Kyoto, and spent days walking in the streets there!) and because I enjoyed the park. However, Tōdai-ji was a must. you are not really impressed if you don't take in account that the building is 100% made of wood and is more than 1200 years old (!!!). The Boudha inside the temple is also huge and impressive. I was aslo surprised to see a wooden pillar with a whole on the basement: lot of children wanted to pass throught! I heard later that it's said that those who pass through this whole will be allowed to go to paradise: and I missed it!




The park is not very impressive but still beautiful. You can eat, or have a walk around, reaching other temples and the city. It is calm, pretty and full of deers! The best way to reach Nara is by train. You can easly do it from Kyoto or Osaka, then you can reach the site by walk! You can get a clear map here !







No comments:

Post a Comment