Around the world


Welcome to this blog!

Please select an article in the bellow map!
Blue points are for visited places and orange ones are for articles.



image jpg 2333-24

Monday 14 January 2013

South Korea: The mysterious Jangseung totems.




One of the sadly underrated thing about korean traditionnal culture is the Jangseung totems that are hidden all around the country. I would like to introduce them to you:

I heard about these totems just a few days after my arrival. During a short stay in Seoul, I wanted to go to the fortress wall which was surrounding Seoul next to Gyeongbokgung palace (mountains on the west side of the palace). However, I went to a small temple instead, next to Dongnimmun station and the "standing rock". I was so surprised to meet two wooden totems with very strange faces! They made me very curious and I was very intrested by them.

When I came back home, I asked my korean friend about these two totems and he explained me that they were used for delimiting villages and cities in old times. But they also had another function: protect the village from demons and bad spirits! In Korea, they are called Jangseung :)

I really liked these totems, and now, I m looking for other ones ! The best way to find them is travelling in countryside villages where you can find some of them 

The easiest ones to find are these ones in Insadong, just near Anguk station.






1 comment:

  1. 天下大將軍=chief general in the sky
    地下女將軍=female general on the earth

    ReplyDelete